Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Couric's Interview of Sarah Palin -- She Seemed Okay to Me

I just watched the CBS interview by Katie Couric of Sarah Palin. Lots of folks are saying this was a "disaster" for Palin -- some going so far as to claim it was the reason behind McCain's stunt today -- but unless there's more to the interview that I didn't see, I think she handled herself just fine. The Gibson interview I thought was a crash-and-burn, but I didn't see anything too bad here.

Even at the end when Couric cornered her on McCain's history of regulation, well... Obviously she is clueless on that, as she is on most subjects. But all politicians sometimes get caught not knowing the answer to something and her answer was cute, even disarming. She definitely has a charismatic manner about her and I certainly understand the comments some Alaskans have made that she has a tendency to put men "under a spell". (Rather ironic, considering her former church pastor!)

Bottom line: she's set her own bar so low that I thought she cleared this one.

4 comments:

JK said...

Oh no Chuck, you of all people.
Don't fall under her spell!
Bill Clinton has clearly been hypnotized by her seductive glossy lips. No wonder she has a much higher approval rating among males. Damn this primal instinct, it skews our judgment.

Sean said...

Don't fall for her feminine charms Charles. She seemed painfully inadequate to answer the tough questions. When given one she'd stall, pause, deflect, and end up giving an answer that was really limited. It almost looked like someone who while they understand that a situation is serious they have no depth of knowledge and kind of have to ad lib responses as they go along. The people don't want off the cuff ad libbing and an intellectual shallowness that be percieved as 'cute' or 'folksy' any more. The people are scared, and they want someone who really knows whats going on and has the wits to handle it...like Barack Obama.

soozzie said...

Charles, Charles, Charles. I was a trial lawyer for 25 years. If I had shown up for a hearing and behaved as Ms. Palin did, I would have lost whatever I was trying to do,and I would have gotten a tongue lashing from the judge telling me to be prepared or not waste the court's time. And my reputation would have been toast. And I would have cost my client money for nothing. But, true, I would not have had the fate of the world at risk, so maybe that's another thing entirely -- you know, maybe when you have your hand next to the hand on the button, being prepared and knowing what's going on are not really all that important....

Charles M. Kozierok said...

Don't worry... it's not like I suddenly think she's a great candidate or anything. I just recognize her charm and charisma and understand why she still has so much support from men.. they're thinking with their, er, little head.