Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Obama: "Enough is Enough"

Responding to the McCain campaign's recent stunts, lies and smears, Barack Obama reinforces the real issue: John McCain cares only about getting elected, while he is the real leader who cares about his country.

One thing that Obama said this morning particularly struck me: when he said flatly "I don't care what they say about me, but I love this country too much to let them take over another election with lies and phony outrage and Swift-boat politics". This is a very clever response in ways that aren't immediately obvious. It allows him to stay above the fray, criticize McCain for being the scumbag he is, and show that he puts the American people first. It also partially disarms any further attacks from McCain -- in essence, he's calling out his rival for having overplayed his hand with too many attacks. Will be interesting to see how it plays.

I started out being an Obama fan mostly because his policies, while not ideally what I want, were "less bad" than McCain's. But as McCain slowly degenerates into a mudpuddle of sleaze, while Obama continues to show character and class, I continue to admire Obama more and more as a person and as a leader.

No comments: